A year and a half ago I put together a system built with some pieces I purchased from the Trenton Computer Festival. It was a server though, pretty loud, very heavy, and the hardware was a couple years old when I bought it so became out of date pretty quickly, and the Xeons were too old to have virtualization. When I decided to move I also decided to replace it and have the parts delivered here in SF.
Yesterday I put together the new machine.
- Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
- GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
- 2 x OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P1333LV4GK (so, 8G total)
- 500G EIDE harddrive (from old desktop)
- 1T SATA harddrive (from old desktop)
- ATI Radeon X1550 (from old desktop)
Pretty sweet, right? I’m excited about the new specs, but I’m also excited about the case:
It’s the In Win Allure case, with light purple flowers and Swarovski crystals! I felt a bit silly spending over $100 on a case that doesn’t come with a PSU, but I really couldn’t resist after seeing how gorgeous it was.
I put it together on Thursday and tossed in a couple harddrives from my old machine. Unfortunately I was running 32-bit Ubuntu on that old machine so it looks like I’ll be reinstalling with 64-bit probably next weekend so I can actually use that 8G of RAM and I’ll be swapping out my 500G EIDE with a 500G SATA I have.